The following ethics white papers are available for informational purposes and stimulate discussion around very important subjects. The positions taken in these papers are those of the authors and do not represent positions of the Health Resources and Services Administration, which oversees the federal OPTN contract. They have not been adopted as OPTN policy.
- Manipulating waiting list priority (PDF - 257 K; 6/2018)
- Living donation by persons with certain fatal diseases (12/2017)
- Ethical considerations of imminent death donation (12/2016)
- Split versus whole liver transplantation (12/2016)
- Ethics of deceased organ donor recovery (12/2016)
- Ethical principles in the allocation of human organs (6/2015)
- Ethical principles of pediatric organ allocation (6/2014)
- Living non-directed organ donation (6/2014)
- Convicted criminals and transplant evaluation (1/2014)
- General considerations in assessment for transplant candidacy (1/2014)
- The ethics of organ donation from condemned prisoners (1/2014)
Not finding what you are looking for? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 782-4800. We maintain an archive of historical OPTN documents.